Dr. Emily Martinson, Au.D., Ph.D.
Every new year is the start of a new beginning, which for many of us means New Year’s resolutions. Whether that means losing weight, organizing the garage, or spending more time outdoors, New Year’s resolutions are a great way to plan something in a champagne-fueled bid for self-betterment, and then abandon that plan within 6 weeks. Just kidding (maybe).
If you are looking to set a New Year’s resolution related to your hearing, here are a few ideas:
- Resolve to have a hearing test this year. Everyone should have their hearing checked, even people who do not think they have a hearing loss. Annual hearing exams are critical for monitoring your hearing health over time, and 2018 is the perfect time to start.
- If you know that you have a hearing loss, a great New Year’s resolution is to move forward with hearing aids. Contact a hearing care provider for more information on how to take the first step.
- Use hearing protection whenever exposed to loud noise. Whether that’s loud music, the lawn mower, construction equipment, or the snow blower, resolve to protect your ears every single time.
- Stay as social as possible. Good conversation with family and friends keeps the brain active and engaged, and is great for overall health.
- If you already have hearing aids, resolve to complete an Aural Rehabilitation program. Aural Rehabilitation helps re-train the brain to sounds that it has been missing due to your hearing loss. Many Aural Rehabilitation programs include fun games that you can play on the computer. Check with your hearing care provider about which program is the best for your hearing loss.
- Resolve to have your hearing aids cleaned and serviced every 6 months. Regular in-office cleanings keep your hearing aids working their best.
Have a very happy 2018!